Saturday, January 18, 2014

Grandma Groo's Corn Chowder

Today's post is a recipe from my dad's mom; it's one he grew up eating, and I love old-fashioned recipes, they are usually simple and yummy. Corn Chowder is really versatile; the main meat is hot dogs; or Polish sausages; or smoked sausages; or ham. I used a kielbasa sausage last time I made it, and it was super delicious! You can also easily play around with the amounts of meat and potatoes until you find the ratio that works for you. I like a lot of potatoes, personally. Just be sure you adjust the amount of liquids accordingly. I also don't add any salt or pepper, I think there's enough salt in the meat already; and since Richard doesn't like pepper too much, I just let each person add it to their bowl as they want or not. 
And now, the recipe as I got it from my mom, who got it from either my dad's sister or their mom; I'm not sure exactly which. 


Grandma Groo's Corn Chowder

3 slices bacon
4 hot dogs
1 medium onion, diced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1-15 oz. can whole kernel corn
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp basil
2 cups water
1 can evaporated milk

Brown bacon and cut into small pieces. .Add sliced hot dogs, brown lightly. Add onions, potatoes, corn (including liquid), seasonings, and water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook until potatoes are tender -- about 10-15 minutes. Add milk and heat through, but don't allow the soup to boil again.

CROCK POT DIRECTIONS

Add onions, potatoes, corn (including liquid), seasonings, and water to crock pot and cook on low until potatoes are done. Add browned, crumbled bacon and browned, sliced hot dogs with the evaporated milk during the last 30 minutes of cooking. 


I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do, and have fun playing around with the different meats to find your family's favorite combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment